The Division of Marketing and Communications recognizes the growth of the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication film production programs, and it supports students who would like to use University of Georgia property for course-related projects. The following guidelines detail how and when students may use University of Georgia property for course-related film productions.
- Filming must be done in accordance with all University policies. All students involved film production must adhere to UGA’s student policies and code of conduct.
- Filming must not disrupt impede or interfere with the University’s education, business, or other activities.
- The use of weapons (including “prop” or facsimile weapons), pyrotechnics, explosives, amplified sound, audiovisual effects or props that may cause injury, alarm or disrupt normal campus business is prohibited.
- Students may not film in areas of ingress or egress.
Outdoor filming in publicly accessible locations on the University of Georgia Athens campus is allowed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week provided that:
- The production is course-related
- The production location has been shared with and approved by an Entertainment and Media Studies instructor
- Crew members are wearing safety vests provided by Grady College’s Field Equipment Supply Room*
- At least one crew member retains a physical copy of the production’s on-campus Certificate of Insurance during filming
Students may also film interiors of the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication by securing permission from their course instructor or the Entertainment and Media Studies department head.
Students who would like to film other campus building interiors may use Campus Reservations, Events & Technical Services (CRETS) to reserve locations on campus for the purpose of their productions so long as the production does not interfere with normal business, student learning, or instruction. Students must abide by the usage policies provided by student affairs.
*Students may check out safety vests and production equipment at the Field Equipment Supply Room located on the first floor of the Journalism building. Students must complete an equipment request/liability agreement.
Student Filming Quick Reference Guide
To secure a certificate of insurance (COI), students must identify intended filming locations and dates for principal photography, which they will share with an instructor for approval. If any approved locations are off campus, the instructor will contact EMST and a representative from that office will work directly with students to secure a COI.
|Production Location||Time of Production||What is required|
|Outdoor filming on the UGA Athens campus||24/7||Instructor approval, secure and possess an on-campus COI, crew members wear safety vests|
|Campus building interiors||Subject to availability defined by Campus Reservations, Events & Technical Services||Instructor approval, secure and possess an on-campus COI, approved reservation from CRETS, crew members wear safety vests|
|Inside Journalism Building||8AM–5PM||Instructor physically present or secure permission from EMST department head|
|Inside Journalism Building||Evening/Weekend||Instructor physically present|
|Off-campus, property of Athens-Clarke County||24/7||Secure permission from ACC, secure off-campus COI|
|Off-campus, private property||24/7||Secure an off-campus COI|
To ensure student safety and to prevent the disruption of normal campus operations, filming is not allowed in the following locations:
- Parking lots/decks
- Ramsey Student Center
- The Miller and Science Learning Centers
- University Health Center
- University Laboratories
- University Libraries
In accordance with the production insurance provided by Grady College, the following are prohibited during productions on campus:
- Use of watercraft
- Underwater filming
- Filming on water
- Use of weapons (including “prop” or facsimile weapons)
- Simulated violence
- Use of animals
- Use of pyrotechnics (including “confetti cannons”)
- Use of trains/railroads/tracks
- Use of automobiles, crashes, crash scenes
- Underground filming
- Drone operation
Film Projects Unrelated to Courses
Students, faculty, or staff who wish to film projects unrelated to their studies or work should refer to the external/commercial & documentary film policy. These projects require prior, written approval by the Division of Marketing and Communications and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Insurance coverage may be required with location requests and fees may apply.
Division of Marketing & Communications
Hodgson Oil Building, Suite 200 N
286 Oconee St.
Dr. James F. (Jay) Hamilton
Professor and Head, Department of Entertainment & Media Studies
Director, New Media Institute
Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor
Jim Kennedy Professor of New Media
104-B Journalism Building