The objective of the News Service is to promote the University of Georgia by effectively communicating its goals, objectives, successes and priorities focusing on institutional strategic communications themes. The News Service performs these functions in accordance with the following policies:
- All University of Georgia news releases must be disseminated by the News Service. Exceptions: Athletics news; Cooperative Extension Service news; announcements from the Georgia Museum of Art, Performing Arts Center, School of Music, department of drama and theatre, department of dance and State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- The News Service disseminates news releases for research grants of $500,000 or more, and those of a lesser amount carrying a compelling news hook.
- The News Service disseminates news releases for private gifts of $1 million or more, and those of a lesser amount carrying a compelling news hook.
- The Office of the Vice President for Research must confirm the amount of research grants reported in news releases.
- The central Development Office must approve development and gift releases.
- The News Service disseminates news releases on administrative appointments for positions of dean and above to local media including Columns and other select media as appropriate. News releases about other key administrative appointments shall be disseminated to Columns.
- News releases must conform to the format referenced in the UGA Style Guide.
- News Services formats submitted news releases in accordance with the UGA Style Guide and edits releases in accordance with Associated Press and UGA style guides.